5 Fun Memorial Day Facts
Memorial Day is traditionally the beginning of summer, but it’s also a time to reflect on those who gave their lives in service to their country. United States military veterans routinely sacrifice everything to protect their homes and their families. Unfortunately, many brave men and women have lost their lives throughout the history of America and they are honored on Memorial Day.
Here are 5 fun facts about Memorial Day:
1. Unlike Veteran’s Day, which celebrates current and former soldiers, Memorial Day honors those who have died while serving their country.
2. Flags are flown at half-mast for half of the day to honor the 1.3 million men and women who have died in combat. At noon, the flags are raised to symbolically show that their courage continues to inspire us today.
3. The Lake Norman area has several events honoring the lives of servicemen. One Memorial Day event is held at the Cornelius Veteran’s Monument hosted by the local American Legion. The town of Huntersville will also host an event at Birkdale Village to honor veterans.
4. Memorial Day was first widely celebrated after the Civil War, and was known as “Decoration Day.” Congress didn’t officially decree the name Memorial Day until 1967.
5. Memorial Day has become synonymous with the beginning of summer and is frequently celebrated with barbecues, boating, parades and other fun outdoor festivities. The Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway, the Indianapolis 500, and the Memorial Golf Tournament are all held on this weekend.
Westport Marina salutes all the brave men and women who gave their lives in service to their country. We hope you have a fun and safe Memorial Day on Lake Norman or anywhere your family celebrates summer!