How to Plan A Picnic on Lake Norman
There’s nothing like spending a day on Lake Norman, especially when you have food. Boat picnics are no secret in the South. Whether you are looking for a date idea or just looking to feed your family, picnics provide the perfect setting for good conversation, yummy food and relaxation – especially when you’re on the lake.
Before you leave shore with your basket of food, there are a few things you need to do to ensure your meal goes smoothly.
Guidelines & Tips for Lake Norman Picnics
1) First and foremost, plan ahead. Check the weather report, and choose a day where you can take advantage of the beautiful outdoors. You may also want to scout the lake before hand, so you can choose the best spot for your picnic.
2) Be prepared and pack accordingly. Forgetting something can really put a kink in your plans, so it is a good idea to use the following checklist. This list is far from comprehensive, but it should provide you with a plan for the items you need to pack.
- A comfortable blanket or something soft to sit on.
- A cooler and ice.
- A basket or container large enough to carry all of the food.
- A plastic trash bag.
- Plates, forks, knives, napkins and cups.
- Sunscreen and bug spray.
- A sharp knife for cutting the food and a bottle opener (if needed).
- Small first-aid kit.
Food & Drink
It is a good idea to serve finger-friendly, easy-to-prepare food like sandwiches, wraps, bread, cheese, crackers, cooks, etc. Just because you’re eating outside, doesn’t mean you can’t eat well.
Some suggested menu items include:
Turkey Pesto Submarine Sandwich
You can also never go wrong with delicious sandwiches for your picnic. This is one of our favorites.
1 French Baguette
4 oz. Prepared Pesto
½ lb Sliced Turkey
1 Vine Ripe Tomato, sliced
¼ Red Onion, sliced thin
1 Handful Arugula or shredded lettuce
Slice baguette lengthwise, and smear pesto on both cut sides of bread. Pile the remaining ingredients onto the sandwich and top off with remaining half of bread. If serving in small portions, insert toothpicks vertically into the sandwich, every 2 – 3 inches. Using a knife, slice into individual serving portions. Serve.
Potato Salad with Bacon and BBQ Sauce
What goes better with a picnic than potato salad? This recipe will not disappoint.
4 pounds small red potatoes
1/2 pound lean bacon, preferably applewood-smoked, thinly sliced
1 1/4 cups mayonnaise
2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
2 tablespoons mustard oil or spicy mustard
2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
2 celery ribs, diced
1 small red onion, minced
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 tablespoon chopped tarragon
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup onion sprouts, for garnish (optional)
Don’t have a boat to picnic on? No problem. Westport Marina provides year-round boat rentals on Lake Norman. Choose between our pontoon boats, ski boats and fishing boats. We’ve got everything you need for a great day on Lake Norman – just add food.
For more information on Westport Marina or to reserve a boat rental, please call us at (704) 483-5172 or email us.