Lake Norman Boat Repair and Spring Maintenance
With spring right around the corner, now is the time to get your boat ready for the water. Annual preparation and cleaning projects are necessary tasks for Lake Norman boaters, because it ensures safety, protection and helps prevent problems that can keep boats out of commission.
To help you get ready for your spring launch, Westport Marina has compiled the following general guidelines for Lake Norman boat repair and pre-season boat preparation. By following these guidelines, you and your boat will be ready to hit the open water this year:
- Fuel System – Check the fuel system for leaks or damage, especially fuel hoses, connections and tank surfaces. You also need to ensure the engine, exhaust and ventilation systems are all functioning properly. If any hoses need replacing or if your engine, exhaust or ventilation system isn’t working properly, have your boat serviced by the professionals at Westport Marina.
- Belts, Cables and Hoses – During winter storage, it is common for belts, cables and hoses to crack and become brittle. Make sure your belts fit tightly around the pulley and have any worn belt, cable or hoses replaced by a professional. Cracks or swells on the outer jacket of control cables are a sign you need to take immediate action.
- Electrical System – Inspect all electrical connections for cleanliness and tightness. Corrosion is often a sign of an unsecured connection. Remove this corrosion with a wire brush, and charge/test your battery to ensure it’s holding a charge. Electrical systems should be inspected by a qualified technician, like the ones at Westport Marina.
- Fluid Levels – Check all fluid levels including engine oil, power steering, coolant and power trim reservoirs. Before putting your boat into the water, be sure to change the engine oil, oil filter and drive lubricants.
- Propellers and Hulls – Check for dings, pitting, cracks and distortion on your propellers. Damaged propellers cause unwanted vibration and could damage your drivetrain. When checking the hull, look for distortions and cracks and clean the hull, deck and topsides using an environmentally safe cleaning solution.
- Safety Gear – Check your life jackets to ensure they are in good condition, and replace as needed. Be sure all fire extinguishers are the correct class for your boat, and ensure they are fully charged and stowed in the proper place.
Be sure to consult your boat’s owner’s manual for specific maintenance instructions. Follow these basic spring maintenance procedures and you’ll enjoy another season of carefree boating.
Lake Norman Boat Repair
When you need your boat serviced, you can always count on the award-winning service department at Westport Marina. For over 25 years, we have been Lake Norman’s one-stop shop for fast, efficient boat servicing and repairs. We service all brands of, no matter where you purchased your boat, and we are Lake Norman’s only diesel boat engine service provider.
We are a full-service, bow-to-stern detail center with expertise in engine repair, boat repair, upholstery repair and canvas work. Our repair facility features state-of-the art computer diagnostic tools and all work is guaranteed. Our experienced and factory trained team uses only factory Original Equipment Manufactured (OEM) parts that meet all United States Coast Guard (U.S.C.G.) requirements.
As you prepare for the warm season ahead, trust your Lake Norman boat repair needs to the seasoned professionals at Westport Marina. For more information, please call us at 704-483-5172 or email us. With our huge amount of repeat customers, our service and repair department speaks for itself!