Earth Day on Lake Norman is April 22, 2017
Each year on April 22, we celebrate Earth Day. This holiday marks the anniversary of what many consider the birth of the modern environmental movement. To celebrate, many residents along the Lake Norman shoreline plant trees, recycle, pick up litter and perform other “green” acts to show their support for environmental protection.
At Westport Marina, we are lucky enough to be located on Lake Norman, one of the most beautiful lakes in the nation. So in the spirit of Earth Day 2017, we’ve come up with 10 ways to keep our lake clean and beautiful for generations to come!
10 Ways To Keep Lake Norman Clean
- If you live on the lake, plant a buffer strip of native plants along the water. If you have a lawn, keep it small and avoid using pesticides and fertilizers.
- If you have a septic system, always make sure it is functioning properly. As an alternative, consider using a wastewater treatment system like a composting toilet.
- Take it slow when you’re in your boat. Big wakes erode shorelines.
- When buying a boat, consider buying a 4-cycle over a 2-cycle engine. You can reduce the amount of gasoline that goes into the water, which is a pollutant.
- Never dump waste into a storm drain. Storm sewers run directly into the lake.
- Always clean up after yourself and throw your trash away when you’re on the lake.
- If you fish, consider putting away your lead sinkers and jigs and switching to non-toxic tackles. Some wildlife is susceptible to contracting lead poisoning from tackle they pick up off the bottom of the lake floor.
- This may sound ridiculous, but don’t use the lake as a bathtub. Soaps and shampoos contain nutrients and pollutants that are harmful to the lake and organisms living in it.
- Watch for fuel spills when you are at the pump and use soap without phosphate to wash your boat.
- If you see trash in the water or on the ground, pick it up and properly throw it away. Small, kind acts like this add up and can make a big impact on our lake if everyone plays their part.
With a little consideration for Mother Nature, you can help keep Lake Norman clean, and you’ll preserve its charm and keep it a gem of the Carolinas.
If you plan on visiting Lake Norman and need a good place to store your boat, fuel up or rent a boat, be sure to visit Westport Marina. For more information on our services, give us a call at 704-483-5172 or email us. We are here to help you get the most out of Lake Norman and your day out on the lake!