Fun Facts About Lake Norman
Must of us love visiting Lake Norman for its beauty and relaxation, but it’s actually a pretty interesting body of water. In this week’s blog, we share Lake Norman’s most interesting facts. By the end of this blog, you will have a deeper appreciation for our amazing North Carolina landmark.
- With a surface area of 32,510 acres, Lake Norman is the largest manmade lake in North Carolina.
- Lake Norman was created in 1963 when the Duke Power Company dammed the Catawba River to generate hydroelectric power.
- It took almost five years for Lake Norman to fully take shape.
- At the lake’s widest location, it stretches eight miles long.
- Lake Norman is 34 miles long with over 520 miles of shoreline.
- Lake Norman holds 3.4 trillion gallons of water, which is 1,093,600 acre-feet of water.
- The deepest area in Lake Norman is over 100 feet.
- The average depth of Lake Norman is 33 feet.
- In the late 1990’s, a species of freshwater jellyfish was found by scientists. No one knows where they came from.
- The largest blue catfish in North Carolina was caught in Lake Norman. It weighed in at a whopping 85 pounds.
- There is an urban legend that a sea monster lives in Lake Norman. Its nickname is Normie.
- The lake got its name from Norman Atwater Cocke, a retired president of Duke Power.
- The most common fish in the lake are striped bass, yellow perch, largemouth bass, channel catfish, white bass and bluegill.
- The best marina on Lake Norman is Westport Marina, and it can be found in Denver.
When you are planning your next outing to Lake Norman, be sure to stop by Westport Marina for all your boating needs. We’ve got an impressive selection of boat rentals that will feed your appetite for the water and adventure. We’ve got a brand-new premium fleet of pontoon boats, ski boats and fishing boats for you to choose from.
For boat owners, we have an amazing service department that is the staffed with seasoned professionals that can provide all the repairs and maintenance you need to keep your boat running strong. We also provide boat storage options to keep your boat protected and safe when it isn’t is use.