Get Your Boat Ready for Spring
Warm weather is on the way back this April, and that means it’s time to start preparing your boat for boating season. Proper boat maintenance is the difference between having fun in the sun and being stuck on the dock.
Here at Westport Marina on Lake Norman, we have pulled together our very own spring boat maintenance checklist to help ensure that you’re prepared for summer fun.
Boating Spring Start-up Checklist
1. Clean Your Boat – Interior and Exterior Taking your boat out of storage is the perfect time to do some spring-cleaning. Use a mild detergent to clean the hull, deck and topsides. While you clean, check your boat’s hull and propellers for dings, scratches, cracks and other items that look “different” to you. Use a mild cleaning solution that is appropriate for the inside of your boat, too.
2. Check the Fuel System Inspect the fuel system for leaks or other damage to hoses, connections and tank surfaces. Also make sure that the engine, exhaust and ventilation systems are functioning properly.
3. Electrical System Before hitting Lake Norman this summer, be sure to carefully inspect all electrical connections for corrosion. Test your battery and replace it if necessary.
4. Belts, Cables and Hoses During winter storage, it is common for belts, cables and hoses to crack and become brittle. Check to see if belts fit tightly around the pulley. Have our service team here at Westport Marina change any belts, cables or hoses that may be damaged before operating your boat.
5. Fluid Levels Before you shove off, be sure you have enough engine oil, power steering fluid, coolant and power trim fluids. You can top off fluid levels if they are low, but it’s safest to change the engine oil, the oil filter and the drive lubricants.
6. Safety Gear Before having summer fun with family or friends on Lake Norman, make sure your boat has all required safety equipment. Your boat should have personal flotation devices, a fire extinguisher, and a bell or a whistle to call for help. A variety of safety equipment is available at Westport Marina’s store!
Be sure to consult your boat’s owner’s manual for specific maintenance instructions. As you prepare for the warm season ahead, trust your boat maintenance needs to the seasoned professionals here at Westport Marina. We service all brands and we are Lake Norman’s only diesel boat engine service provider.
For more information, please call us at 704-483-5172 or contact us online!